- VE Day standard for Victory in Europe Day
- This was the day that the Second World War came to an end in Europe
- It did not end against the Japanese until the 15th August 1945, this was known as VJ Day. Sadly it has not been remembered as much as VE Day.
- More than 50 million people were killed in the Second World War, and many more were injured.
- 8th May 2020 is a day for us to remember all those people who died in the war in Europe
Memories of VE Day
Today is the 75th anniversary of Victory in Europe. To celebrate and remember, we have some special guest speakers who want to share their stories with the Academy from this significant day. Please see video below. Thank you to Dan and the staff at Timken Grange Care Home in Northampton and Matt from Mansfield who got involved with this project.
Grace 7A – We’ll Meet Again
As Grace’s tutor, I asked her how she was getting on with her singing, and whether she would like to practice, as I enjoy listening to Grace sing. I asked her if she would attempt the Vera Lynn classic “We’ll Meet Again” for the VE Day 75 year celebrations.
I was stunned at the video which came back, Grace hadn’t known the song and has never attempted it before. However, being a pure perfectionist, Grace practised and practised and came up with this fantastic version.
I am so proud of Grace’s determination, well-done Grace.